Act Today For A Better Tomorrow – Wellness Wednesday – +3 Prize Points

by Jul 7, 2021Chronic Diseases, Community, Daily Activities, Diabetes, Mindfulness, Nutrition, Obesity, Physical Activity, Stress, Thomas George, Jr. DNP, CRNP, FNP-C

First, a quick review: Obesity is a complex, multifactorial, chronic, relapsing disease affecting over 42% of American adults, over a billion people around the world, and costing the global economy trillions of dollars!

  • Complex: involve multiple body systems and implicate in over 230 other conditions
  • Multifactorial: influenced by genetic, epigenetic, neurobehavioral, environmentall, immune, endocrine, and medical factors, plus medications, developmental changes, and nutritional imbalances…definitely many factors!
  • Chronic: there is no cure for obesity presently and it persists throughout life…but we can halt its progress and reverse its course with a number of interventions.
  • Relapsing: obesity can recur if we stop the interventions that halt and reverse its progress.
  • Disease: obesity is a condition that causes the body to store excess adipose tissue (body fat) that leads to
    • Metabolic consequences: over 230 obesity related conditions including diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, certain cancers and more.
    • Biomechanical consequences: wear and tear on joints leading to arthritis, pain, changes in movement, damage to organs and more
    • Psychosocial health consequences: increased risk and incidence of depression, anxiety, altered body image, disrupted sleep and energy balance and more

Obesity is more than just weight gain; it is the combination of factors that together cause people with obesity to store more energy as body fat than others. Treating obesity involves more than just losing weight; successful treatment of obesity requires us to address ALL of the contributing factors of each individual with obesity. According to Dr. Andres Acosta, a research physician with the Mayo Clinic, there are several types of obesity:

  • Hungry brain: not feeling full when eating (impaired satiation)
  • Hungry gut: not feeling full after eating (impaired satiety)
  • Emotional/stress eating (hedonic eating)
  • Slow burn (truly slow metabolism)

The Mayo researchers identified 85% of study participants as having one or more of the subtypes and the remaining 15% having no identifiable subtype (perhaps related to injury, genetic variation, medication, and/or other factors. The main takeaway: treating obesity successfully requires us to match an individual’s type of obesity with individualized interventions.

The pillars of obesity treatment include nutrition, physical activity, behavioral health, medicine, and metabolic/bariatric surgery when indicated. In the weeks to come, we will dive deeper into each of the pillars and practice little changes that can make a BIG difference. 

What little changes can you make today that will lead to better health tomorrow? Whatever you do, remember this: you are not alone. Together WE CAN DO THIS!

Contributor:

Dr. Thomas George, Jr., DNP, CRNP, FNP-C

Chief Executive Officer

Family Nurse Practitioner

Doctor of Nursing Practice

Wellspring Family Medicine

1 Comment

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Leaderboard

  1. Deb ❤️ 802
  2. K Pfaff ❤️ 742
  3. John ❤️ 727
  4. Sadie Liller ❤️ 710
  5. Dee ❤️ 704
  6. Shelley Argabrite ❤️ 680
  7. Jen Sober ❤️ 576
  8. Amy Ritchie ❤️ 535
  9. Chelsie dever ❤️ 507
  10. Sarah Humberson ❤️ 483
  11. Susan Mills ❤️ 447
  12. Tammy Jo Walling ❤️ 436
  13. Lori Reichard ❤️ 424
  14. Natasha Coddington ❤️ 421
  15. Janine Beachy ❤️ 403
  16. Lacy Coffren ❤️ 376
  17. Hannah Brown ❤️ 376
  18. Chrissy ❤️ 371
  19. Alisha ❤️ 354
  20. Thomas Dodge ❤️ 312
  21. kay perry ❤️ 310
  22. Kiara ❤️ 289
  23. Thomas George ❤️ 289
  24. Jenny ❤️ 280
  25. Juliet Sanders ❤️ 269

You Might Also Like:

Walktober Day 23 Inspiration Abounds!

Walktober Day 23 Inspiration Abounds!

https://youtu.be/ayo1uCHAZT8 We've met some amazing people this week from the Senior Health & Fitness Club! The social aspect of being in a club is just as important as physical exercise and flexibility gained during classes! Safely encouraging others, and having...

Walktober Day 22 – Water Aerobics

Walktober Day 22 – Water Aerobics

https://youtu.be/1FodQy00cmY Water workouts are an effective way to boost your cardio fitness while also strengthening the major muscle groups in your body. Pool exercises are especially helpful for anyone with joint issues or injuries, as well as those who are...

Walktober Day 21- Yoga With Sue

Walktober Day 21- Yoga With Sue

https://youtu.be/SOSrmkM1VRU Sue is a talented yoga instructor that teaches three main levels of Hatha yoga that you can begin while seated in a chair. The class is welcoming and...

Pin It on Pinterest

Skip to content