Article By Diane Lee, Public Information Officer, Garrett County Health Department
The Garrett County Health Department (GCHD) is hosting two Trauma-Informed Care Town Hall meetings in the next two months.
“You may have heard that we should not ask ‘What’s wrong with you?’” said Sadie Liller, Prevention Coordinator at GCHD and organizer of the Town Halls, “but rather, ‘What happened to you?’ These Town Halls will help us zero in on how to do just that.”
Town Hall presenters will include:
- Mary VanSickle, Mental Health Coordinator, Garrett County Public Schools, trauma-informed care.
- Heather Hanline, Executive Director, Dove Center, Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs).
- Kristen Walker, Prevention Specialist, GCHD, Mind-Body Connection.
- Andrew Bell, JBS International, stigma.
The first Town Hall will be held at Southern Middle School on April 12, from 6-7:30 p.m.
A second Town Hall will be held at Northern Middle School on May 17, from 6-7:30 p.m.
Trauma-informed care recognizes and responds to the signs, symptoms, and risks of trauma to better support the health needs of patients who have experienced Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and toxic stress.
“Join us for these Town Hall Meetings to learn how to help those who have been affected by trauma, whether it’s in their current situation, or in their past,” said Liller.
These Town Halls are provided by GCHD with funds from HRSA. For more information call the health department at 301-334-7730 or 301-895-3111.
- Garrett County Commissioner Ryan Savage Shows His Support for Mental Health Month and Children’s Mental Health Awareness Week! - May 26, 2023
- Garrett County Health Department’s Home Health Unit Supports Mental Health Month and Children’s Mental Health Awareness Week! - May 25, 2023
- Foundations For Healthy Cooking From Southern High School Students – Watch As They Prepare Tasty Seared Chicken Breast With Chef Scardina - May 25, 2023
The Town Hall presenters should make this very worth attending.
What a wonderful plan for an event!
Looking forward to attending.
Great event, looking forward to it!
I look forward to attending.
Nice thanks for this
Please tell you friends. I hope this event is well attended.
Mental health awareness and care is much needed. Happy to see this.
Good job getting this important info out to the public. Hopefully a lot of people will attend.
This will be a good event!
I’m very much looking forward to attending the Town Hall.
Looking forward to this event.
The first one was so good. Spread the word for others to attend the next one at Northern.
I never heard of the Town Hall regarding mental trauma
Looking forward to more events like this.
Sounds like this was a wonderful opportunity for improvement in this area!