KICKSTART 2022 – January 6, 2022 – Apple Cinnamon Bars Recipe Under 100 Calories
Welcome back to KICKSTART 2022 – a new campaign to help Garrett County get moving, make healthier choices, and work together to improve our community’s well-being in the New Year.
Throughout January 2022, we’ll be sharing TONS of great resources and tips to help you KICKSTART your new year with a community full of support!
Today is the sixth day of a brand new year – and we’re sharing a great recipe we discovered on the MyPlate Kitchen, featuring my personal favorite flavor – cinnamon! These Apple Cinnamon Bars (https://www.myplate.gov/recipes/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/apple-cinnamon-bars) offer a more balanced treat that’s a low cost and healthier spin (The average apple cinnamon bar is 300-320 calories on AllRecipes!?!) on a traditional favorite. Whether you have bushels of apples frozen in your freezer, or applesauce taking up space in your refrigerator or cabinet, this recipe offers several substitions that make it easy to create with ingredients you likely already have on hand.
This recipe comes from the Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Network, and you can find full nutritional information and directions on the MyPlate Kitchen website at: https://www.myplate.gov/recipes/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/apple-cinnamon-bars
What’s your favorite snack? Do you have a healthier version to share? If so, tell us in the comments below!
About KICKSTART 2022:
- 5 BONUS Prize Points ? can be earned through the end of January 2022 by commenting on each day’s post, activity, etc…
- Building off the success of our Walktober campaign, we’ll continue to share local resources to help you utilize all of the tools and resources available in Garrett County to start your new year off with people who want to help you meet your goals ❤️ – whether they’re about physical health, mental health, or both.
- In addition to what you’ve seen with previous campaigns, we’re going to be expanding this campaign with one of our favorite motivational resources: ? Pinterest! We hope you’ll join us as we build a collection of great resources from community members, small businesses, and people who just want to help others succeed!
Join the discussion! We had a tremendous outpouring of community support, feedback, and great tips during Walktober. We’d love to hear from you in the comments below (and you’ll even earn 5 bonus points each day, if you are logged into your Go! account).
(Please note, your first comment on Go! GC is manually approved to prevent spam. After your comment is approved, you will automatically be awarded bonus Prize Points. Once you have one comment approved, all future comments will be automatically approved.)
- Garrett County Commissioner Ryan Savage Shows His Support for Mental Health Month and Children’s Mental Health Awareness Week! - May 26, 2023
- Garrett County Health Department’s Home Health Unit Supports Mental Health Month and Children’s Mental Health Awareness Week! - May 25, 2023
- Foundations For Healthy Cooking From Southern High School Students – Watch As They Prepare Tasty Seared Chicken Breast With Chef Scardina - May 25, 2023
Thanks for the info.
this looks like a great recovery snack after a long run or ride 🙂
This recipe sounds yummy, except not sure 1 cup of shortening sounds healthy. Wonder if it would be healthier and turn out o.k. if substituted 1 cup butter?
Yes I was also wondering if anyone knows a way to make it with less or no shortening and less carbs. For sodium, I just don’t use salt.
I will definitely be trying this recipe! It’s the perfect weather for warm apple and cinnamon recipes.
This sounds yummy. I want to make this. Let me know if anyone makes a healthier version.
Yum definitely going to try these!
Food Network & Eating Well are also good sites for healthy recipes.
I wondered about shortening. I don’t keep it in my house. I did save the recipe though. Maybe next time I have extra apples. Will butter work?
I’ve substituted applesauce for oils in the past. Wonder if applesauce could be substituted for the shortening?
This sounds really good. I like anything with apples and cinnamon.
This sounds delicious. I, too, would substitute the fat for a healthier one.
Great breakfast bar!
My mom would love these!